Thursday, August 02, 2007

What Can't You Stand?

Moses, Martin Luther King, Mother Theresa, Billy Graham and Dr. Bob Pierce (Founder of World Vision) all had one...A Holy Discontent. Moses was bothered by the oppression of the Hebrew people. Martin Luther King was sick and tired of the discrimination of blacks, Mother Teresa couldn't stand to see the poorest of the poor living without hope and dying without dignity...and the list goes on.

In his book: "Holy Discontent" Bill Hybel's uses the story or analogy of Popeye and his eating spinach. When he would finally have enough of what ever was going on in that epsiode he would say, "I can't stands it no more!" Then he would pop open a can of spinach and get huge forearms and take care of whoever or whatever it was that was causing trouble. And that is the question that keeps getting asked in this book...What can't you stand?

How do you answer that question? What takes place in this world that everytime you see it you just want to explode? For me several things come to mind: people that misrepresent the Church, the name of Christ or Christianity in the Media. Students blinded by the enemy and missing out on a relationship with God. Finally, I would say it would have to be Christians in general who do not care about missions. I guess that my list could go on and on, but those are the first few that come to mind.

I love what he says about Mother Teresa and this REALLY challenged me...he said, "Mother Teresa didn't devote herself to this casue because of a fat paycheck every month; she served the under-resourced people in her midst because her holy discontent had her by the throat and wouldn't let go."

Am I living out my life with my holy discontent grasping my throat not willing to let go? Or am I simply going through life collecting a paycheck and doing a job? I don't know where you are at in your life right now, but will you join me in asking God to help us identify our holy discontent? But lets not stop there...lets get off our butts and do something about it!!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I will join you. I agree get up and do something about it : )