Saturday, May 05, 2007

inventory

This weekend Meg, Keri and their mom have been doing a garage sale. So needless to say this past week we have been going through the house finding things (and we had plenty of things) to sell in the garage sell. My brother-in-law said it best, "this can get addictive, you keep going through your stuff saying, 'what can I sell?'" It has caused us to do some real inventory on our lives and posessions.

Let me ask you this...do you have to much stuff? I recently read an article in Relevant magazine about our generations "addiction to money," It was a very insightful article. Tony Compolo made this point: Over the past 25 years the average size of homes have increased by 40%, and it is not because we are having more kids, actually we are having less. It has everything to do with the fact that we have more stuff, and what is crazy is that we are having to rent out storage units to hold stuff that we can't fit in our homes.

If Meg and I get to the point where we are trying to figure out where to put stuff that we have, to me that is a sign. We need to get rid of some stuff! I never want to get to the point where I can't park my car in the garage because I have too much stuff. If I reach that point, then somebody is either getting blessed by me giving it away or it's time for a garage sell!

So if your bedroom or house is a little crowded...be a blessing to someone else and give some stuff away...or have a garage sell...either way take an inventory of all the stuff that you have and haven't used for at least a year! And get rid of it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you completely. In the past 7-8 months I've been getting rid of stuff. I continue to get rid of stuff daily. I'm almost to the point that I have no more boxes to look through! *(I was a child that saved everything!) Anywho I hope that you, Meg, and the girls are doing splendidly!
Kelly