Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Swimming Upstream

Yesterday I drove to Columbus for a planning meeting for an event coming this summer. As we sat in the meeting discussing several things I kept bringing up some different ideas about a couple of the sessions, only to be met with some resistance. I will admit that it became a little frustrating that one person in particular in the meeting constantly opposed by ideas.

Allow me to say right know that I didn't nor do I think that my ideas HAD to be followed, or where necessarily the best. It became quite clear though that this person and I approach ministry from two different perspectives...neither of which are wrong...just different.

I don't know why it is, but I feel like I find myself constantly swimming up stream, constantly going against what is common. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to come across as some kind of maverick know it all...I am not! I just have a tendency to get tired of the status quo...the "we've always done it like this" mentality. But this is exactly where my dilemma comes in...

I don't claim to be the most creative person, but sometimes I feel that I/we tend to ministry/events out of memory more than out of imagination (I think that is a M. Batterson line). I wish I was a more creative person...I wish my own ministry didn't operate with such routine, but I guess in the busyness of ministry that is what becomes the easy!

Does anyone struggle with the frustration of status quo with things your involved in, but at the same time you find your personal life or ministry immersed in it?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you should've jacked that person with a sock full of nickels...

Dave Kidd said...

I know it is a constant battle for me. I think we are always WANTING to do what we desire to do in ministry - be creative, innovative and keep it fresh, but we allow time, budgets, insecurities and the like to keep us chained to the "status quo".

Beyond ministry, sadly, many people live their Christian lives in the same mentality. However, if ministry leaders are not abandoning that mentality, why would the people we strive to lead.?

Andy Warren said...

Did you try telling HIM/HER to just SHUT UP