Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Shackeled...

This was one of those HARD days of youth ministry. I got a call last night that one of the students that has been attending Axiom for about 6 weeks was in juvy. This guy had started coming and was incredibly dedicated, he was really beginning to make some great friends!

Fast forward to today...I called his mom and found out that he had a hearing today at 1pm. Unfortunately his mom (whis is single and trying to raise 3 kids) is unable to afford an attorney and the public defenders office is not much help, his lawyer didn't show up today.

As I was sitting in the lobby waiting on his mom the elevator doors opened up and a group of 5 boys coming walking out, all in orange jump suits and handcuffed at the wrist and ankles. Some of the looked really hard but a couple of them looked broken, including my student. I wasn't able to go into the hearing, but I was able to say a brief word to him as he exited. It broke my heart to see this young man who last week was in our youth service hanging out with friends, laughing and having fun and know he is setting in a juvenile jail cell across town.

This kid is a good kid! I have only heard his mom's side but if what she says is true or at least close,then this boy is just the victim of circumstance. And what really stinks is that he may get a lawyer who doesn't care and will give him bad advice. He could any where from 6 months or seven years.

Will you please pray with me that God will work on this young man's behalf. If he guilty then he needs to do the time...but if not then he needs to get back to living his life. I mean this kid ask his mom if he could go to church...he was hungry for God to move in his life and now this happens.

I will be sure to keep you up on what is happening, but please pray for my student! His family and I would really appreciate it...THANKS!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bro, that has to be tough. I pray for you, him and the family.

Dave Kidd said...

Tim,
I'll be praying. As a pastoral counselor and staff member at a Christian Group home for at-risk teen boys, I see this scenario all too often.

Keep praying, make the most of the time that you have with others like him, and try not to let him feel like he has been abandoned.

Again, I'll be praying,

Dave