Saturday, February 02, 2008

February 6th is coming soon!

Last year I read several blogs about guys fasting or giving something up for Lent, even thought they are not Catholic, they recognized the importance and significance of what Lent represents.  I really felt like God was leading me to do it last year, but lent had already started and I slacked.  

So this year I began to pray in advance remembering what God spoke to me last year.  But I really struggled with what I was going to give up...I am eating better, so giving up pop and that kind of stuff wouldn't really cost me anything or be much of a sacrifice.  As I went down the list of things that I would normally give up on a fast nothing was much of a sacrifice...UNTIL...I was praying one day and all of a sudden God said it...He spoke something to me that made me cringe..and I new that was thing...but what a sacrifice it was going to be...He said, "TV."  OUCH! 

Now don't get me wrong...I am not a total couch potato, but currently I have several shows that I watch regularly! Chuck, Celebrity Apprentice, Big Shots, Friday Night Lights, Journeyman, The Unit, and a couple of other shows.  On top of that the 2008 Nascar season starts in February as well as March Madness...so needless to say I am praying that the writers strike continues till April...hahaha

I am looking forward to this with bridled anticipation, I mean I am excited about what God can and will do in my life as I give up something for Him.  At the same time, it is going to be so hard to be "out of the loop" in what is going on in my shows...(holy cow, I sound like an old lady talking about her soap operas...).

I plan on getting some good reading in over this time and more importantly some great family time... I will update through the process in what I am learning, reading and doing with the family.

Have you considered giving up something for Lent in order to draw closer to God?  Would love to hear some comments about what God is speaking to you!

No comments: